photos

photos

Thursday, May 9, 2013

We are expecting! It's a.........

We are expecting!  It is a precious 2 year old little girl! We are overwhelmed with excitement!  Yesterday, Brant and I submitted to our agency our official Letter of Intent to adopt the sweet baby I mentioned in a previous blog post.  We will refer to her as "Little One" throughout the rest of the posts until we are officially matched.  According to Colombia's privacy laws, no identifying information may be posted online.  So...no pictures, no real name.

Now, we just wait.  Lots.of.waiting.  Lots.  Our dossier is still being translated to Spanish by one of Colombia's official translators.  We are hoping that will be completed next week so it can be combined with the letter of intent to submit to ICBF (Colombia's department of family welfare).  From there we anticipate hearing a, "YES, of course we approve you!" from ICBF within 4-8 weeks.  Another 2-4 weeks to officially match us to Little One.  Then 2 more weeks to receive her referral file.  Two more weeks for translation into English.  Then we begin some more, yes more, approvals on the U.S. side of things.  My best estimate for travel is November-ish if there are not additional delays.

The summary report we were given on Little One a few weeks ago was very basic.  And very old.  It was last updated in March 2012.  Our social worker contacted ICBF to point that out.  Their answer was, "You are right, that is outdated.  Unacceptable."  And then nothing.  Although they agreed it needed updating, they did not give us an update.  So, we have agreed to pay for a medical report if they will just provide it.  We have committed either way, but would like to prepare ourselves a bit for what lies ahead.  According to her report, Little One has Sickle Cell Anemia.  There are varying degrees of Sickle Cell.  The terminology and some of the information we have received point to the most difficult type.  It is a lifelong battle with little hope of a cure.  The goal will be management of the disease as best we can.  It should seem daunting.  I've done the homework.  For weeks, I've studied this disease and its effects.  It should be overwhelming.  But I have such a peace.  Little One belongs with us.  We are her family.  The waiting has become exponentially more difficult now that we have "met" her.  I wake up during the night only to remember that she isn't home yet.  And I pray for her.  I never stop praying.  For her safety, her health, her foster family, her birthmother.

So here are my prayer requests:

  • That our dossier is approved by ICBF quickly.  
  • That they approve us specifically for Little One. 
  • Her safety and medical care.
  • That her health is better than our worst case scenario.  

Thank you for your support!

Tax deductible donations may be made at Adopt Together by credit card, check or Paypal.


12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness gracious. I am SO excited for you!!!!!!! :) Ami

    www.walkingbytheway.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I'm in tears reading this. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Little One is one blessed baby to have you as a family. Can't wait to "meet" her through pictures and stories once your waiting is over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber. I can hardly wait to share her beautiful picture!!! She is amazingly precious!!

      Delete
  3. Such amazing news! I'm so excited to follow your journey to get Little One!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elesha, I am a friend of Crystal's from Bama and have been following your story.

    Congratulations! I just want you to know that I will be praying for your family and for "Little One." I admire your heart for this!

    - Valerie Somerville

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Valerie! I'm so glad you are following and thrilled about all the prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers sent! I adopted my daughter rom Russia 10 years ago, from Krasnoyarsk. She was born and sent immediately to an orphanage in Siberia. Her bio mom was Mongolian. They said she had Downs, Syphilis, and Autism.....turns out it was only the middle and treated, cured, and perfect... major hyper, but the absolute love of my life. It's a long journey Elesha. But memories for a lifetime. I kept a journal of every day from the beginning until about three months after she came home with me, someday she will treasure it as I do. Lots of Prayers, luck and good thoughts coming your way:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I didn't know that you adopted! Thank you so much for the prayers. They are much appreciated!

      Delete